Story Excerpts

Saturday, March 31, 2012

De-Stressing and Re-Prioritizing

I've been a little overwhelmed lately, for good reasons.  Something's clicked in my brain regarding telling sentences, and third-person POV.  It's a great step up for my writing, and I am excited.  But it also means I have a lot of work to do on manuscripts in progress and others I considered finished.  I've tried juggling my new novel project, extensive edits, and blogging within my limited writing time, and it's only taken a week to realize I've bit off more than I can chew.

So . . . I've decided to go back to blogging once a week.  It's easy for me to resort to blog reading/writing when I don't feel like editing, and I need to hunker down get serious.  Plus my reading time is suffering, and I certainly can't allow that. ;-)

Book reviews are being lumped back into Tuesday posts, and I won't be doing my Sweet Saturday Samples for a season.  And everybody said, "Awwww!" *groan*  I've had fun playing around with scenes for "The Countess of Altamont", but for now I need to concentrate on my second draft of "The Way of Impressions".  The characters' personalities are starting to come together beautifully, and the scenes are getting tighter and stronger.  It's going to be good!

Pray for me, that God helps me to stay focused and motivated.  Until Tuesday, my friends.  :-)

8 comments:

Helen W said...

Praying for you Gwen! So often we have to make these tough decisions in order to focus on what needs to be done. I've just been sorting through what my priorities are for the next two months myself!

Great to hear that something has just clicked for you regarding telling sentences and third-person POV. My head is in a fog from writing for Speedbo, and I'm SURE I have a million things I need to work on when my manuscript is done.

Loree Huebner said...

Keeping you in my prayers, Gwen! Don't you love when something finally clicks?!?! I had a moment like that last summer.

I am only able to blog once a week, so I totally understand where you are coming from. This is an important time, so do what you need to do.

Rissi said...

Best of luck with these new ideas, Gwen - I hope everything works out. We all have too much stress sometimes in our lives, don't we!? ;D

Gwendolyn Gage said...

Thanks, Helen, I appreciate it. It's hard to re-visit priorities and make sacrifices, but so necessary to meet our goals.

I'm so excited over your Speedbo success! I would take a little rest from the manuscript, like a week or so, and that way you'll have a fresh perspective when you come back to it. :-)

Gwendolyn Gage said...

Thank you, Loree! I think I rushed into blogging three times a week too soon. When I realized I was up to my elbows in editing work, I knew I had to do something. Blogging's going to have to take a back seat until I'm ready to re-join the manuscript submission game. :-)

Gwendolyn Gage said...

Thanks, Rissi! Oh yes. I think we writers have a talent for creating stress for ourselves. :-)

Adam Gaylord said...

Good post. I just posted a similar thread about how us writers have to prioritize our creativity. Check it out:

http://adamsapple2day.blogspot.com/2012/04/daily-stories-we-have-to-set-aside.html

Gwendolyn Gage said...

Thanks Adam, and thanks for inviting me to check out your article.

Post a Comment